Re: trouble with emacs -nw -f gnus and character sets

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: Re: trouble with emacs -nw -f gnus and character sets
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:16:07 +0200

* Peter Petersen <ppetersen@despammed.com> schrieb:

> I still have lots of trouble when using gnus from within a terminal
> program, such as "gnome-terminal".
>
> I am able to write the euro sign and to see the euro sign in other
> people's posts. By the way: Is this an euro sign? € € €
>
> I also see Umlaute, äöü and other special characters: ß éèêñ
> I am able to write them, and hopefully they can be seen correctly by
> others.
>
> But your posts, Aidan, don't show up correctly here. You should see some
> of the problems in my quoting you: Apostrophes are not displayed as they
> should, instead I see them as question marks. Must be due to your using
> utf-8.
> <...>
> When I use the "graphical" Emacs (instead of emacs -nw) your posts are
> all right, Aidan.

Well, like so many times before :) I reply to my own post.

The problem seems to be solved!

But it was tricky.

Here are the necessary steps that solved the problem:

1) setting gnome-terminal to use utf-8

AND

2) customizing emacs to produce an entry in .emacs like this:
   '(keyboard-coding-system (quote utf-8) nil nil "nil before,
   now utf-8."))

AND

3) unfortunately, there was nothing to customize for
   terminal-coding-system, therefore I had lots of trouble to find the
   correct entry to add to .emacs
   Well, I found that this works:
   (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
   (thanks to Johan Bockgård, who mentioned this in a post some time
   ago)

Now everything displays correctly.
And if my own characters arrive o.k. at the other side, I am happy -
well, for now, at least. :)

Is this an euro sign? €

Are these the Swedish special characters? å ä ö
The German Umlaute? ä ö ü
The German "sharp S"? ß
The Icelandic th-sounds (thorn and eth)? þ ð
The French Accents? é è ê
and French cédille? ç
The Spanish tilde? ñ
An apostrophe?  it's an apostrophe

If everything looks all right, please tell me, but otherwise, too.

Regards
Peter