Re: no primary server !

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: no primary server !
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:18:33 -0400

> At times I've sometimes found it aesthetically unpleasing that one
> server is treated different than others (naming-wise, for instance),
> but I admit that I never exerted any effort in obtaining a deep
> understanding of the issues involved.

Here I have three different backends (nnml, nntp, and nndsc, which
reads MIT's quite dated 'discuss' boards), and it was also annoying
that one of them got treated differently.  It was worse that, a long
long time ago, I set up gnus-select-method to '(nntp "news.mit.edu")
but my primary usage is mail, so the thing with the "blessed" names
only had a dozen or so interesting groups in it.

I think if you're primarily using a single backend -- probably nntp,
nnml, or nnimap -- then it makes sense to bless that as
gnus-select-method.  But if you've got several backends and multiple
servers, you get to think a little less (and, admittedly, type a
little more) if you use nnnil as your primary select method.

(My work email now has gnus-select-method as nnimap, and it's great,
aside from that my finger-macros got trained by years at MIT, so my
"refile this article" command is 'B m nnml:mail. C-backspace
C-backspace INBOX.group.name'.  :-)

  --dzm