Re: Need help setting the mail-host-address and user-mail-address

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: Re: Need help setting the mail-host-address and user-mail-address
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:03:06 +0900

>>>>> "dick" == dick
>>>>> <dick@localhost.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me> writes:

    dick> As you can probably tell my my return address, I haven't
    dick> been able to set either my user mail address or my mail host
    dick> address.

    dick> When I attempt to do so gnus beeps at me and I see:

    dick> "This option has been changed outside the customize
    dick> buffer. (mismatch)"

    dick> The minibuffer informs me that the "Symbol's value as
    dick> variable is void."

    dick> The "(mismatch)" and the minibuffer tell me I've missed
    dick> something, but I can't figure out what.

First, how about:

C-h v user-mail-address
C-h v user-full-name

to see if these variables are set.

Then, add the following lines to your .gnus (or .gnus.el) init file,
appropriately changed:

(setq user-mail-address "address@domain.com")
(setq user-full-name "your name")

Typing C-x C-e after the closing parenthesis should get gnus to
recognize that immediately, or choose menu item Gnus / Reread Init
file.

If there is a problem parsing your init file, you may use the
*Messages* buffer to give you a hint. In particular, you might try
deleting the lines in the Customization section of the init file (set
up by emacs and gnus) which have something to do with the two
variables above. Below is my customized section, for comparison:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(auto-compression-mode t nil (jka-compr))
 '(canlock-password "9d726a63991b6d8eb6e4932bb6c3058903cbf42b")
 '(case-fold-search t)
 '(current-language-environment "Japanese")
 '(default-input-method "japanese-egg-wnn")
 '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
 '(max-lisp-eval-depth 512)
 '(mew-addrbook-for-cite-prefix (quote nickname))
 '(mew-from-list (quote ("Gernot Hassenpflug<gernot@rish.kyoto-u.ac.jp>"
"Gernot Hassenpflug<m303.j4t6x.c4.gh@ezweb.ne.jp>" "Gernot
Hassenpflug<gernot@mb3.seikyou.ne.jp>" "Gernot
Hassenpflug<gernot2270@yahoo.co.jp>")))
 '(mew-x-face-file "~/aikiface.xface")
 '(show-paren-mode t nil (paren))
 '(transient-mark-mode t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(gnus-header-content-face ((t (:foreground "light blue" :slant italic))))
 '(gnus-header-name-face ((((class color) (background dark)) (:foreground
"pink3"))))
 '(gnus-header-subject-face ((((class color) (background dark)) (:foreground
"orange red")))))

Hope that helps.
     Gernot
--