Re: how to remove groups entirely from .newsrc.eld file?

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: how to remove groups entirely from .newsrc.eld file?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:21:36 +0200

Le 8 Jun 2005 à 06:06, Gernot Hassenpflug s'est exprimé ainsi :

> Hello,
>
> I have been using gnus to read old mail, using G D. I then copied
> articles en masse to nnml groups, which are created by gnus if they do
> not already exist. However, if I want to now kill one of these nnml
> groups, and I use either S k or Ctrl-K, the group still remains
> somewhere in my startup news files. I have some parsing error in one
> of these nnml groups, perhaps due to Japanese character sets, and I
> copied articles to other groups, and deleted this particular nnml
> group. It still gets read on startup though....
>
> Do I have to edit the .newsrc.eld file by hand to get rid of it?

While recently  playing with archives groups and  creating several bogus
servers  i found that  sometimes the  only way  to get  rid of  a server
definition  is to  manually edit  .newsrc.eld  files (when  Gnus is  not
started) and to edit the gnus-server-alist definition.

As else  in the  server buffer Gnus  keeps on  refusing to kill  some of
them.

> On a related note, anything done with G D appears in the .newsrc.eld
> file, as expected, but not anywhere in my .gnus.el. Similarly, if I
> copy articles from an existing mail group into a new one, this new one
> is created, but does not exist in my .gnus.el. This is inconvenient
> for me, since I do not want my mail groups destroyed if something
> happens to .newsrc.eld. That file is also not so easy to understand at
> a glance.

I think  that .gnus.el  should be considered  more as  an initialisation
script that actually a config file.

(Except for the customize section in  the .emacs file that one can place
elsewhere)  Gnus does  not modify  its  starting script  but stores  its
configuration in the .newsrc.eld file.

So it  is normal not  to see groups/servers or  parameters modifications
propagated to the .gnus.el file.

> Is there a recommended method for keeping mail safely organized (easy
> to overview in the .gnus.el file, for example, not so easy if you
> don't know where on disk(s) your groups were located if you have to
> try and look for them again), and can I move stuff that is created
> with G D into my .gnus.el file?

Maybe you can do like me  for some settings : looking in the .newsrc.eld
for the parameters  that gnus set and copying them to  the .gnus to keep
them in  case of  future reuse. I  used to  see that those  settings are
ignored from the  .gnus if they are also present  in the .newsrc.eld (so
you  have to remove  them from  .newsrc.eld before  they are  taken into
account if you modify the .gnus definition).

HTH.

--
Sébastien Kirche