Configuration Trouble

From: baxter tron
Subject: Configuration Trouble
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 03:03:33 -0500

Hello,

I use to read news and mail with Gnus about a year ago, and I would like
to start using it again.  However, I am having problems.  This is quite
odd since I am using the same exact configuration files that I used
previously.

My first problem is that when I hit 'L' in the group buffer all I get is
the following:

     74: news.announce.newusers (m)
     358: news.groups.questions
    1641: gnu.emacs.gnus
      10: nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help
       *: nndraft:queue
       *: nndraft:drafts
When I believe I should get a list of all available groups on my server.
BTW, when I start Gnus for the very first time Gnus reads a list of ~6MB
of groups.

This in itself wouldn't be a horrible thing, since I can still subscribe
to groups by using 'U' in the group summary, except I come up with another
problem.  At first everything seems to be working fine.  I can download
all headers for a particular group, and view the bodies.  But when I mark
all the articles read (using 'c' from the group buffer) Gnus will never
find any new articles in when updating with 'g' or restarting Gnus.

Here is my .gnus file:
;; -*- emacs-lisp -*-

(setq user-mail-address "wbennett@kyonline.net")
(setq user-full-name "Will Bennett")

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "newshost.allthenewsgroups.com"))

;; incoming mail
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnml ""
                    (nnml-directory "~/gnus-mail/")
                    (nnml-active-file "~/gnus-mail/active")))

(setq mail-sources '((pop :server "mail.kyonline.net
                          :user "wbennett"
                          :password "Left Blank")))
;; outgoing mail
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.kyonline.net")

;; auto-wrap messages
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (turn-on-auto-fill)
             (setq fill-column 70)))

Is there something wrong with my configuration file or do I just have
little or no idea how to use Gnus?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Will Bennett
wbennettNO@SPAMkyonline.net