always reading the active file

From: Uri Guttman
Subject: always reading the active file
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 04:20:19 -0500

i had gnus working smoothly (giganews via comcast) with

(setq gnus-read-active-file 'some)

it would only read the groups i was subscribed to and mail groups that
had mail so it was fast when i typed 'g'. earlier tonight i typed some
gibberish into gnus (wrong screen!) and it went wacky on me. took some
time to recover (had to kill emacs). now it seems to almost always read
the active file when it checks for new news on my subscribed groups. i
can check any one group with M-g but g makes it fetch away and grind
gnus to a halt while it crunches it. i have restarted emacs and gnus
several times but it still has this problem. it didn't read the active
file before this mess up, even when restarting emacs or gnus.

any ideas what i might have changed or what i can do to fix this?

thanx,

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri@stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com