Re: Gnus stuck in select/gettimeofday loop

From: Neil Woods
Subject: Re: Gnus stuck in select/gettimeofday loop
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 01:20:46 +0000

> On Sat, Feb 25 2006, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
>
>> Neil Woods <cnw+usenet-0602@pobox.com> writes:
>>> Occasionally¹ Emacs will lock up completely whilst in Gnus, at this
>>> point it is unresponsive to C-g.
> [...]
>> Just to be clear, the fact that Emacs becomes unresponsive to C-g is a
>> sure indicator that you have a bug in Emacs itself, not in Gnus.
>>
>> It might be more helpful if you'd let folks know the exact version of
>> GNU Emacs that you've got (M-x emacs-version RET);

> `emacs-version' will additionally show the compile date and a little
> information about the system.  `M-x report-emacs-bug RET' will provide
> more information and send the report to the right mailing list.
> Maybe running Emacs within gdb (many Emacs developers do this all the
> time) would provide more information when the lock up occurs.  See
> etc/DEBUG for more information.

Thanks Reiner.  In fact that's exactly what I'm doing right now (running
under gdb), since Emacs crashed with a segmentation fault a little while
ago.  Strange.  I had two frames open, one with Gnus and the other with
the *scratch* buffer.  On focusing the other frame Emacs segfaulted
(I'm using FVWM2 as my window manager, in case that's relevant).

Anyway, I shall submit a bug report if/when it crashes again, using
`M-x report-emacs-bug RET'.

There's a new snapshot available as of this evening, which I'm currently
downloading and compiling with symbols, so we'll see if that makes a
difference.

Thanks.
--
Neil.
We are not loved by our friends for what we are; rather, we are loved in