Re: Expiration

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: Expiration
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:17:04 -0500

rodolfo.medina@gmail.com writes:

> I want to be sure that both auto and total expiration are not active,
> or, in other words, that a message is subject to expiration
> *if-and-only-if*
> I've marked it with `E'.
> How can I be absolutely safe of that, and sleep in peace without the
> fear
> that tomorrow morning I will find out part of my messages
> deleted by gnus' total/auto expiration, without being marked with `E'?
> The manual does not seem very clear about that.

I can offer only a little bit of advice here, namely that the
automated expiry features default to off everywhere.  There are
several places they could be turned on -- group parameters, topic
parameters, the global gnus-{auto,total}-expirable-newsgroups
parameters -- and you'd need to check all of them.  Gnus does have
functions to check; try evaluating

(or (gnus-group-auto-expirable-p gnus-newsgroup-name)
    (gnus-group-total-expirable-p gnus-newsgroup-name))

My other bit of advice is that auto-expiry's effect is to mark
articles explicitly expirable (so they get marked "E" instead of "R"
when you read them); if you've never configured total-expiry, then no
article not marked "E" will ever get expired (though some messages
might get marked "E" that you don't intend to if auto-expiry is on).

  --dzm