Re: a couple of newbie questions with gnus

From: Martin Jørgensen
Subject: Re: a couple of newbie questions with gnus
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 17:20:10 +0200

Malte Spiess wrote:
Martin Jørgensen <unoder.spam@spam.jay.net> writes:

Final problem I think: Gnus stopped working now...
[...]
Well, the *Groups* buffer starts, but it's empty. And the gnus-menu
bar isn't there... Really annoying... How do I reset everything
(delete all the data that gnus has made) ?

Well, that should be in the .gnus file. (Never delete, only move!)
A different proposal:
Why don't you post your .gnus so we can tell you what's wrong?

I didn't change anything in my .gnus file. Actually I don't even think I have a .gnus-file, since nothing showed up when I did this:

Apple:~ mac$ cd
Apple:~ mac$ find . -name ".gnus"

I only changed something in my .emacs-file. And then I changed it back after gnus stopped working... The whole .emacs is here:

- - - - -

(put 'dired-find-alternate-file 'disabled nil)

     (setq TeX-auto-save t)
     (setq TeX-parse-self t)
     (setq-default TeX-master nil)
  (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'LaTeX-install-toolbar)

(cd "~/Desktop")

(setq gnus-select-method '((nntp "192.168.1.100")))

I can't remember what I had there before... Something about identity-information I think... And my smtp-server + signature, AFAIR.

Server 192.168.1.100 is because I'm running leafnode for getting news-messages.

AND: REALLY use customize next time, it's way easier to start with!
Once you understand how things work, you can switch to editing the .gnus
file directly.

Ok, I'll try to do that then. But customize has so many options, that I get confused and don't know where to look :-(

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Martin Jørgensen

Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk