Re: why i receive duplicate mails?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: why i receive duplicate mails?
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 11:45:13 +0200

On Sat, Sep 09 2006, Øyvind Røtvold wrote:

> (setq pop3-leave-mail-on-server t)
>
> And that's about it, I'm usning gmail (trough stunnel).
>
> There's a file : .uidls int my home directory containing ID's that
> presumably are used to avoid duplications.

Then you are probably not using the Gnus version of pop3.el, but the
XEmacs version.

Because of the copyright situation we can't use this code in Gnus.  We
are aware that the `pop3-leave-mail-on-server' feature in Gnus version
is insufficient [1], but there's not much we can do about it unless
someone who is willing to assign papers reimplements UILD support for
`pop3.el', see also [2].

If bandwidth isn't the problem, you might use Gnus duplicate
suppression (info "(gnus)Duplicate Suppression") to mitigate the
problem.

>> nobody answered my post...is there something wrong?

Entering "Gnus pop3-leave-mail-on-server" into Google groups
brings [1] as one of the first hits, so a little bit of own research
wouldn't hurt.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] <http://thread.gmane.org/b9yy8hzy9ej.fsf%40jpl.org>
    <http://www.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=b9yy8hzy9ej.fsf%40jpl.org>