.gnus and .emacs init files

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: .gnus and .emacs init files
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:35:10 -0500

I have the following in .emacs and some of the same entries in .gnus. Is
there any reason other than modularizing the code that requires some
things to go in .gnus and others in .emacs? Can anyone point me to setup
code examples for using Gnus as the mail program rather than VM or rmail?
I think I am using rmail now but I can't figure out what's going on.
Basically I just want to use one email address for news and the other for
mail, same password for both. Can I put the encrypted password in some
file so that I don't have to type it in every time I start Gnus?

(setq gnus-posting-styles
 '(
   ((message-news-p)
    (address "name1@isp.com")
    (name "name1"))
   ((message-mail-p)
    (address "name2@isp.com")
    (name "name2"))
 ) )

(setq user-mail-address name2@isp.com)
(setq user-full-name "name1")
(setq user-mail-address "name1@isp.com")
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.isp.com")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(load-library "smtpmail")
(setenv "MAILHOST" "mail.isp.com")
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
    '("name2@isp.com") rmail-pop-password-required t)
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.isp.com"))
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
(load-library "message")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

Thanks,
Ed