Re: Those blasted \201 characters

From: Peter Dalgaard
Subject: Re: Those blasted \201 characters
Date: 25 Sep 2006 14:37:42 +0200

> On Sat, Sep 16 2006, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>
> > Drats. Foiled by umask again. Better now?
>
> Works perfectly for me even with plain Emacs 21 / Gnus 5.9 from SUSE
> 10.0 (both with and without -no-site-file) with the following minimal
> settings (I've catted your spool file to ~/INBOX).  Also with
> LC_CTYPE=da_DK I don't see any problem.

> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  '(delete-selection-mode nil nil (delsel))
>  '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nnml ""))))
>  '(mail-sources (quote ((file :path "~/INBOX"))))
>  '(scroll-bar-mode (quote right)))
>
> Here's a screen shot:
> http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/gnus/screen-shots/emacs-21-gnus-5-9-dalgaart.png
>
> Even when loading your .emacs file it works correctly.  Are you using
> Emacs as an X application or on the console (or xterm, emacs -nw)?
> (But even with -nw it works for me.)
>
> Maybe the admin [1] messed up the site-start.el file.  Please try with
> -no-site-file.  And also show us the output of `M-x
> describe-coding-system RET RET' and `C-h v
> default-enable-multibyte-characters RET'.  What's the coding info (at
> the left part of the mode line; "0" = Latin-0 in my screen shot) in
> the summary and article buffer?

Sorry about the delay, but a cold and various other matters got in the
way. I have now tried killing the

(: hc:fancy-split-spamassassin)

line, leaving spam detection to the mail server, and that seems to
have helped.

So if you want to dig deeper, you should probably try finding out how
constructs like

(defun hc:fancy-split-spamassassin ()
   (save-excursion
     (set-buffer " *nnmail incoming*")
     (call-process-region (point-min) (point-max) "spamc" t t nil "-f")
     (goto-char (point-min))
     (when (re-search-forward "^x-spam-flag: yes$" nil t)
           ;; edit the following to the group where spam is to be dropped
           "mail.spam")))

could end up MULE-kicking the incoming buffer.

(I'll get back to you if it didn't help after all...)

> Bye, Reiner.
>
> [1] Apropos admin: You could install a newer Gnus (5.10.8) in your
>     HOME directory, if you like.

Yes, but this is my office setup, and "things are not supposed to work
that way". If at all possible, software should be installed by our
systems people, and they have a well-founded need to stay with what is
in the standard distributions. So if the problem is fixable in .emacs,
that is strongly preferable.

(I realize that this scenario is maddening for software maintainers -
I am one myself in another capacity. Then again, I'm also way too
familiar with the "version leapfrog syndrome" that was common before
the advent of organised distributions.)

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Ă˜ster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)                  FAX: (+45) 35327907