Moving after marking

From: nobrowser
Subject: Moving after marking
Date: 27 Sep 2006 09:13:12 -0700

Hi, looking at the documentation for `gnus-summary-goto-unread':

If t, many commands will go to the next unread article.
This applies to marking commands as well as other commands that
"naturally" select the next article, like, for instance, `SPC' at
the end of an article.

If nil, the marking commands do NOT go to the next unread article
(they go to the next article instead).  If `never', commands that
usually go to the next unread article, will go to the next article,
whether it is read or not.
<<<

But, actually, a lot of the time (almost always when explicitly
marking, in fact) I'd prefer _not to move anywhere at all_.  I remember
from the old days that Rmail could be instructed that way, but I don't
see how to do it for Gnus. Note that just saving point or setting an
Emacs mark is not a solution, because moving also has the side effect
of making the next article read.  TIA for ideas.