Re: grep a string in different maps.

From: martin
Subject: Re: grep a string in different maps.
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:02:22 +0100

> Date: 17 Nov 2006 01:57:38 -0800
>
> Hi.
> I have a problem.
> I'm using emacs on windows xp. I donwloaded some .exe file to be able
> to run UNIX commands on window (it's called UnixUtils).
> What I need to perform is to search for a string in files. Grep finds
> the string if the files are in the same directory. But my problem is
> that I want to perform this search on files that exist in other
> directories.
> A little description of my directory tree:
> - SW (directory)
>       - logical (directory)
>       - terminal (directory)
>       - OS (directory)
> If I'm standing in the terminal directory then it is OK to find a
> string among the files in "terminal", but if I want to find the string
> when I'm standing in "SW" then it not possible. Grep cannot recurse
> through the directories.
> I tried this combination also: find . -name * -exec grep -n string NUL
> {}
> And I got a negative result too.

Hi,

how was the result negative ?

I presume, you supplied the above command line by executing
"grep-find".

Provide the find command with your "root" directory "SW (directory)"
instead of "." and surround the wild card * with double quotes.
(find <directory> -name "*" -exec grep -n <string> {} NUL \;)

Martin
--
parozusa at web dot de