Re: How to change encoding temporarily?

From: ssSslang
Subject: Re: How to change encoding temporarily?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:37:50 +0800

Thank you!

Zhang Wei <id.brep@gmail.com> writes:

> Good argument, but there's two subtle details should be point out,
> first, we couldn't do this:
>
> (set (make-local-variable 'mm-coding-system-priorities)
>      '(iso-8859-1 gbk utf-8))
>
> It's a good idea to make a variable buffer local before change
> it's value, but perhaps gnus makes a new buffer for the encoded
> message, so if we don't change the global value of
> `mm-coding-system-priorities', it won't take effect.

I did a test. Zhang Wei is right. The local variable is not work.

> second, if we send mail through a SMTP server, be careful with
> the message-send-mail-function, set it like this:
>
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-smtpmail-send-it)
>
> not,
>
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>
> otherwise the `message-send-mail-hook' won't run.

I use msmtp to send message, so it needn't to be changed. Thank you all
the same.

> so something like this should cope with the problem:

> (setq sssslang-message-change-charset-regexp "@hotmail\\.com\\>")
> (setq mm-coding-system-priorities '(iso-8859-1 utf-8))
> (add-hook 'message-send-mail-hook 'sssslang-message-change-charset)
> (defun sssslang-message-change-charset ()
>   (save-restriction
>     (message-narrow-to-headers)
>     (if (or (string-match sssslang-message-change-charset-regexp
>                           (or (message-fetch-field "to") ""))
>             (string-match sssslang-message-change-charset-regexp
>                           (or (message-fetch-field "cc") ""))
>             (string-match sssslang-message-change-charset-regexp
>                           (or (message-fetch-field "bcc") "")))
>       (setq mm-coding-system-priorities
>             '(iso-8859-1 gbk utf-8))
>       (setq mm-coding-system-priorities
>           '(iso-8859-1 utf-8)))))

The truth is that when I first try this code, the GCCed mail's head
displays the gbk encoding, but, there's always a but, :) my hotmail mail
box also get a utf8 encoded mail. Then I go through the message.el to
find the reason(unfortunately, I know little about elisp), I saw the
follow two lines:

  (message-fix-before-sending)
  (run-hooks 'message-send-hook)

I remembered someone said Gnus holding text as utf8 and then convert to
another encoding before sending. So I look over the
(message-fix-before-sending) and guess this is the convert code. So I
exchanged the two lines and add the sssslang-message-change-charset to
the message-send-hook(because I cannot find the message-send-mail-hook).
It then works. I know this is a dirty way, so please let me know the
better solutions.

--
ssSslang