Re: Entering groups

From: Robert D. Crawford
Subject: Re: Entering groups
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 22:16:10 -0600

Slackrat <slackrat4Q@azurservers.com> writes:

> I'm new to gnus and seem to be having a few problems

Let's see if we can clear things up for you.

> Firstly, if my groups are not 'permanently visible' I need to know how
> to make a particular group visible

One way to do this would be to use the 'L' command to list all groups,
then use C-s to search for the group you wish to enter.

> Secondly, even  if a group is visible, it seems to be impossible to
> get into the group to post an article or to send an email if there is
> not already at least one post in the group

I am not sure why you cannot enter a group with no articles.  If I try
to enter a group with 0 unread articles, it askes me how many articles I
wish to view or something of the kind.  Read on to solve the problem of
article posting you mention.

There is no need to be in a group to post an article to a group.  If in
the Group buffer, hitting 'a' will start a news article.  You can then
enter the name of the group you wish to post to, using the TAB key to
complete the group name.

As far as mail, you can do the same thing, only with the 'm' key from
the Group buffer.

Other things you should know...

C-h m while in the Group/Summary/Article buffers will give you
mode-specific help.  You should read this information, as it is very
helpful and concise.

Read the gnus info manual.  The info system is very nice.  Learning to
use it will make you very happy.  To get into the gnus info manual, and
any other info manual, use these commands:

C-h i

this will go to the top level of the info system.  Then you can either
search for "gnus" or you can hit the 'm' key to get to a menu item, in
this case gnus.

> My emacs configuration file is at http://azurservers.com/gnus in case
> any corrections might be necessaery in it

Hopefully, this will not be necessary.

--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

The girl who remembers her first kiss now has a daughter who can't even
remember her first husband.