Re: How do I fetch from

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: How do I fetch from
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:40:31 -0500

Andrew Markebo <andrew.markebo@comhem.se> writes:

> I want read read pop (by mail-sources), and squeze into to nnimap.

Sorry, what do you mean by "squeeze"?  Do you have, separately, a POP
and an IMAP server, and you want to pull things off the POP server and
have Gnus push them to the IMAP server?  I don't think there's easy
"out-of-the-box" support for that.  In particular, this config:

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '( (nnimap "master"
>               (nnimap-address "localhost"))))
>
> (setq mail-sources
>       '(
>       (pop :server "e" :user "9" :password "b")))

doesn't do what you want because nnimap isn't an nnmail backend, where
things like nnfolder, nnmh, nnml, etc. that pull mail off some server
and store them locally are.

The "typical" setup that Gnus expects is that (a) your ISP offers POP
mail service and you want to store the articles locally, probably in
nnml (pop mail-source); (b) your ISP offers IMAP mail service but you
want to pull articles off it just like the POP case (imap
mail-source); or (c) your ISP offers IMAP mail service and you want to
read mail "on the server" (nnimap select-method).  You could almost
certainly write your own Lisp to pull mail off the POP server and push
it on to the IMAP server; I'd hack something together most likely
using (nnimap-stream shell) in your select-method specifier, see
(gnus)IMAP.

Your setup looks particularly strange, though, because you're setting
(nnimap-address "localhost").  Why would you use IMAP in this case,
over something like nnml, if the actual mail is going to be stored
locally either way?

  --dzm