Re: gnus is freezing right after startup

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:11:46 -0500

William Warren <""william_warren_nonoise\"@speakeasy(William
Warren).net"> writes:

> Thanks for reading this. I have a problem with gnus freezing right
> after I start it. I get a message that says "Loading
> gnus-start...done", but then emacs stops responding. The only Google
> hit was from 2001, and it mentioned a file Debian doesn't use, so I'll
> ask for help from the group.
>
> I use emacs 21.4.1 and gnus 5.9.0 on Debian Sarge.
>
> Here's the .gnus.el file:
>
> (setq user-mail-address "william_warren_nonoise@speakeasy(William\
> Warren).net")
> (setq user-full-name "William Warren")
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.speakeasy.net"))
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "localhost")
>

> I set the toggle-debug-on-quit option, and bailed out of gnus with Cntl-g.
>
> Here's the debug output:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
>   signal(quit nil)
>   byte-code("ÀÁ!ˆÂÃÄ\"ˆÄ‡" [message "Quit retrieving data from nntp"
> signal quit nil] 3)
>   nntp-send-mode-reader()
>   run-hooks(nntp-server-opened-hook)
>   nntp-open-connection(#<buffer  *nntpd*>)
>   nntp-open-server("news.speakeasy.net" nil)
>   gnus-open-server((nntp "news.speakeasy.net"))
>   gnus-start-news-server(nil)
>   gnus-1(nil nil nil)
>   gnus(nil)
> * call-interactively(gnus)
>   execute-extended-command(nil)
>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command)
>
> All suggestions welcome. Thanks for your time

Hmm.  Strange; it looks like it's actually hanging on the NNTP
negotiations, so it opened the connection successfully and exchanged
the initial handshake.  A little bit of NNTP debugging would be the
next step, if you feel knowledgeable enough about it.  Even if you
don't, capturing the traffic might be informative.

news.speakeasy.net is Giganews, which is one of the more reliable
Usenet servers you could be trying, so at least you shouldn't have to
debug the server itself.  There could be a firewall getting in the
way, but you seem to be getting far enough in setting up the
connection that I consider that unlikely.