Re: Prefering plain text over html parts in multipart messages

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Prefering plain text over html parts in multipart messages
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 15:20:33 +0200

Hi Reiner,

>> Strange "text/html" is in it by default, but I have at least one
>> article with both html and text part where the html part is shown as
>> default...
>
> This should not happen.  Could you debug it or send the article
> (private info removed) to ding as a gzipped attachment?

Sure. After investigating a bit further I found out that gnus displays
always the html part and omits the text part with the default values of
`mm-discouraged-alternatives' and `gnus-buttonized-mime-types'.

With

(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
      gnus-buttonized-mime-types  '("multipart/signed" "multipart/alternative"))

I get the buttons and the text part is displayed by default.

Here's an example multipart mail.

>> Anyway, this lead me to `gnus-buttonized-mime-types' which is a nice
>> feature.
> [...]
>> (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
>>       '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
>>       gnus-buttonized-mime-types
>>       '("multipart/signed" "multipart/alternative"))
>>
>> and the text part is displayed by default + mime buttons. Nice!
>
> I think this is more or less the example from (info
> "(emacs-mime)Display Customization"), isn't it?

Yes, at least the setting of `gnus-buttonized-mime-types'.

Bye,
Tassilo

--
      "DRM manages rights in the same way a jail manages freedom"