Re: Opening URLs which contain , ...

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: Re: Opening URLs which contain , ...
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:20:42 +0200

Marcin Kasperski <Marcin.Kasperski@softax.com.pl> writes:

> If you click the following link (in gnus)
>
>    http://www.sport.pl/sport/1,65025,4392044.html
>
> you will see the browser trying to display
>
>    http://www.sport.pl/sport/1%2c65025%2c4392044.html
>
> and get the error page...
>
> (at least it is so in my config with firefox set as default browser)
>
> Seems something is escaping ',' character. Is it possible to disable
> it somehow?

The commas are encoded in the `browse-url-firefox' function, because
otherwise Firefox would treat them as delimiters in the command line.

One could argue that the sport.pl server should decode the encoded
commas. Apparently it doesn't, but I guess it's common for server-side
dispatching programs to ignore the issue.

A possible workaround is to use the `browse-url-generic' function
instead. Set the `browse-url-generic-program' option to "firefox".