Re: .emacs keybindings in gnus

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: .emacs keybindings in gnus
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:49:38 -0400

imputerate <imputerate@gmail.com> writes:

> so now the section of my .gnus.el file which forces gnus to accept key
> bindings from my .emacs file is:
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (local-set-key (kbd "\ei") 'previous-line)))
> ;; instead of 'gnus-message-mode-hook
> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (local-set-key (kbd "\en") 'next-line)))
>
> the lesson to be taken from all this is that the "'gnus" should be
> omitted when one is configuring the .gnus.el file;

Lest you take this as a general rule, message-mode is at least
theoretically separate from Gnus proper; there's a separate Info manual
for it, for example, and its various names start with message- (but not
gnus-message-).  The summary mode configuration, on the other hand, *is*
an integral part of Gnus, and gnus-summary-mode-* is correct where a
bare summary-* won't work.

> now how about getting customized key bindings to work in X, and X
> apps, like browsers?

I've never had trouble making keybindings work in X vs. not, though I
seem to use a different syntax.  My .emacs has:

There's no way to make Emacs customizations work for applications that
aren't Emacs, sorry.

  --dzm