Changing the "Sender" for the summary buffer

From: Bernhard Gschaider
Subject: Changing the "Sender" for the summary buffer
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:55:18 +0200

Hi!

I have the following thing I want my Gnus to do, but before I set out
to try it I want to know whether it can be done with juistifyable
effort (my lisp is a bit rusty ....):

I'm receiving mails from a message board software (and a filter sorts
them into a separate folder). Obviously the sender address is that of
the MessageBoard-software. Each mail starts with the message
"This was posted by Isidor Pepranek on Tuesday..."
(the name variies obviously)

Now what I would like to achive is that in the summary-buffer of the
folder for the Sender-Name instead of the MessageBoard-name the name
of the poster is displayed.

I have some vague ideas how this can be achieved (something with a
hook on that group that filters the name from the message body and a
local gnus-summary-line-format format), but I'm lacking experience
with Gnus-programming, so it would take me days just to figure out
where to look.

Can somebody give me a hint how this could be done? Just something
like "look at variable foo, implement hook bar for the buffer".

One of the key questions for me is: Can it only be done by generating
a new mail-header when filtering the mail (thus changing the messages
on disk) or can it be done during the displaying of the summary
buffer?

Of course if somebody has already done something similar and would be
so kind to share it (I can adapt it) I would be very grateful

Bernhard

--
Writing software is more fun than working.