Re: prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu

From: yjgzhang
Subject: Re: prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 06:20:27 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 11, 12:38 pm, yjgzh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 10, 5:47 pm, a...@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:27:49 -0800 (PST), yjgzh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I encountered the same problems here with emacs under ubuntu. I used
> > > to use emacs under Fedora and Mandriva. The emacs under those two
> > > linux distributions has no problem at all. But when i transfered to
> > > ubuntu, I have the same problems, i.e., the selected region using
> > > keyboard can not be highlighted. E.g, when you using \C+space mark a
> > > begining of a region, and then using the left or right arrows to move
> > > the cursor, nothing happened (it supposed to extend the region from
> > > the position where \C + space marked). However, when I reach the end
> > > of the region, and using alt+w to cut it, it still works. This problem
> > > is very annoying when you using the keyboard for editing in Emacs,
> > > because you can not see the selected region, they are in darks.
> > > I also try to emacs -q to ignore my profile, the same thing happened.
> > > Does anyone can tell me how to solve this problem?
>
> > This has nothing to do with Gnus. Please ask in a relevant newsgroup,
> > such as - perhaps - gnu.emacs.help.
>
> > (Did you turn "Active Regions" off by any chance? Your description
> > sounds like that is your problem (I always turn the off because I do
> > *not* want the annoying colouring of regions)).
>
> >   Best regards,
>
> > --
> >  "Gravity is arbitrary!"                                      Adam Sjøgren
> >                                                          a...@koldfront.dk
>
> Thanks for your reply
>
> I have checked Transient Mark Mode, it seems that it has been enabled.
> But the problem still exists
>
> /***************************************/
> Transient Mark Mode: Hide Value Toggle  on (non-nil)
>    State: EDITED, shown value does not take effect until you set or
> save it.
>
> Non-nil if Transient-Mark mode is enabled. Hide Rest
> See the command `transient-mark-mode' for a description of this minor
> mode.
> Parent groups: Editing Basics
>
> /***************************************/

I found the solutions:

in the default settings of emacs under ubuntu, the key has been set as

(global-set-key [right] 'forward-char-nomark)
(global-set-key [left] 'backward-char-nomark)
(global-set-key [up] 'previous-line-nomark)
(global-set-key [down] 'next-line-nomark)

In .emacs set following command

(global-set-key [right] 'forward-char)
(global-set-key [left] 'backward-char)
(global-set-key [up] 'previous-line)
(global-set-key [down] 'next-line)

Now this is the same as the default settings with emacs under other
linux distributions e.g. fedora or mandriva

I just wonder why Ubuntu made such a strange change?