Re: IMAP and Exchange 2007

From: Tobias Brink
Subject: Re: IMAP and Exchange 2007
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 20:29:55 +0200

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

>    TB> To synchronize between IMAP and a maildir or between two IMAP
>    TB> servers you could have a look at offlineimap.  I use it two sync
>    TB> between two IMAP servers, which works great.  Don't know if it
>    TB> works with Exchange, though.
>
> offlineimap sounds very interesting.  Assuming it works with Exchange,
> does it play nicely with Gnus?  Does Gnus support Maildir format?  I
> can't imagine that it doesn't.

Gnus supports maildir ("nnmaildir"), see the manual.  "Maildir" is an
entry in the index.  You could also run your own IMAP server on the
computer you run Gnus on and sync this with Exchange, but this seems
pointless.

> Do you use offlineimap?  If so, some quick questions before I delve more
> deeply into the manual.  offlineimap will dump my IMAP folders into a
> Maildir equivalent.

Yes and yes, but you could also sync two IMAP servers (see above).

> I assume, then, that I use split rules on the Maildir folders to
> split my messages as I see fit.  offlineimap will then sync what
> I've done so that my IMAP servers see where I put my messages?

If I understood you correctly, yes.  offlineimap will synchronize the
maildir folders with the IMAP server.  So if you move/delete something
this change will be reflected on the server after syncing.  Of course
changes done on the server will also be synchronized to your maildir.

HTH,
Tobias