Re: getting mail from spool broken?

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: getting mail from spool broken?
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:10:20 +0900

>> I'm using Gnus v5.13, and an hour or so ago upgraded to a very recent
>> emacs from cvs. (http://emacs.orebokech.com/ )
>>
>> This upgrade seems to have broken gnus getting mail from the local
>> /var/mail/gijs

> I think I fixed it by adding a

> (setq mail-sources
>       '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/user-name")))

> in my .gnus.

> But now don't ask me how gnus & emacs worked all this time without those
> lines. It did.

I experienced the same problem and reported it to the emacs-devel
list as:

http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.devel/thread=94543

Your workaround is right but similar problems might happen in
other situations.  So then I decided to use this one in the
~/.emacs file until the bug is fixed:

(or (functionp 'or)
    (defadvice functionp (around workaround-bug (object) activate)
      "Workaround bug."
      (or ad-do-it
          (setq ad-return-value (and (symbolp object) (fboundp object))))))

Regards,