Re: How to send UTF-8 encoded messages with Gnus ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to send UTF-8 encoded messages with Gnus ?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 11:11:34 +0200

wahjava@gmail.com (Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Gnus/5.13 in Emacs/23.0.60.1 in Gentoo GNU/Linux. My 'LANG'
> environment variable is set to 'C' . And I've following line in my
> ~/.gnus:
>
> (setq gnus-default-charset 'utf-8)
>
> My .signature file contains some UTF-8 encoded text. Now, when I post
> From Emacs running in X, my messages were sent as UTF-8 encoded,
> whereas when I sent from Emacs running in xterm, all my messages were
> sent as ISO-8859-1 encoded. Any ideas, what is wrong ?

Huh?  The variable documentation clearly states

gnus-default-charset is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
Its value is undecided

Documentation:
Default charset assumed to be used when viewing non-ASCII characters.
This variable is overridden on a group-to-group basis by the
`gnus-group-charset-alist' variable and is only used on groups not
covered by that variable.

You can customize this variable.

[back]

Namely: this variable is just for viewing things, not posting them.
What you might want to use instead is