Re: smtpmail.el: Problem with STARTTLS + Authentication

From: Zak B. Elep
Subject: Re: smtpmail.el: Problem with STARTTLS + Authentication
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:42:56 +0800

Felix Natter <felix.natter@smail.inf.fh-brs.de> writes:

> 250 2.1.0 <felix.natter@smail.inf.fh-brs.de>... Sender ok
> 550 5.7.1 <fnatter@gmx.net>... Relaying denied. Proper authentication
> required.
> 221 2.0.0 ux-2s14.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de closing connection
> smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error
>
> gnutls-cli is installed.

>From the original mail, you set smtpmail-smtp-server, but did not set
smtpmail-smtp-service.  Since you're using the submission port 587 (as
seen in your smtpmail-*-credentials) I think you're currently connecting
to the SMTP on the regular port.  Try setting smtpmail-smtp-service to
587.

--
  I like the idea of 256 bits, though: 32 for the (Unicode) character leaves
  room for 224 Bucky bits, which ought to be enough for anyone.