bbdb 2.35 and Gnus 5.11 integration?

From: Zachary Kline
Subject: bbdb 2.35 and Gnus 5.11 integration?
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:09:13 -0800

Hi All, I'm trying to integrate bbdb 2.35 2005/09/06 (from Debian
Lenny) and Gnus 5.11.  This is using Emacs 22.2.1 with Debian
modifications.  I have the following in my .emacs file:
(require 'bbdb)
(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message)
According to the documentation, this is what I need.  Unfortunately, when I try
to add
a record (using the ":" command), I see no prompts or windows
appearing.  The contents of the *Messages* buffer isn't very helpful:
in fact, it says nothing whatsoever after hitting : that I can
determine.  Am I better off compiling bbdb myself and avoiding the
package?  This seems a strange problem to me.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Best and thanks,
Zack.