Compacting groups & article marks buglet?

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Compacting groups & article marks buglet?
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 02:06:37 +0200

Hi everyone,

I am running Gnus from a snapshot of CVS Emacs at 2009-02-23 01:37
+0000, right after the change to lisp/composite.el by Handa-san:

        * lisp/composite.el:
          (auto-composition-mode): Don't add a hook to
          after-change-functions.  Don't decompose the buffer.
          (auto-composition-after-change): Delete it.
          (toggle-auto-composition): Make it an alias of
          auto-composition-mode.
          (auto-compose-region): Delete it.

Whenever I compact a group in the `*Group*' buffer, by typing `G z', it
seems that the articles are compressed but article marks are a bit
messed up.  In particular, the next time I pull articles from my nnml
source (my ~/Mailbox file), the newly pulled articles end up being
marked as `O' (old, read) or even `E' (expired) in the summary buffer of
the group.

I haven't actually pinned down this to a particular source part of Gnus,
but my intuition says that it has something to do with the way
`gnus-group-compact-group' updates the group overview file, or the way
it does _not_ update it when the group is compacted.

Has anybody else noticed something similar?