Re: Sending mail with SMTP problem

From: Andrzej Adam Filip
Subject: Re: Sending mail with SMTP problem
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 14:59:07 +0200

Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> wrote:

> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@onet.eu> writes:
>
>> Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> I tryed to follow the instruction but it didn't solve my problem.  The
>>> strange thing is that the problem is only with a new smtp server.
>>> With the old smtp server it works but this server will be closed.
>>> [...]
>>
>> Could you post name of the old smtp server?
>>
>> As I wrote the (new) server does not declare support for SMTP AUTH in
>> its reply to EHLO.
>
> I am not sure if this is what you want but I inluded trace from the
> old server.  I have deleted some of the mail in the middle.
>

> Process SMTP deleted
> 220 orc.control.auc.dk ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.6/8.13.6; Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:13:56
> +0200 (CEST)
> EHLO tk-laptop.es.aau.dk
> 250-orc.control.auc.dk Hello aau64570-tk.staff.control.auc.dk [192.38.50.63],
> pleased to meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-EXPN
> 250-VERB
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
> AUTH LOGIN
> 334 ....
> 235 2.0.0 OK Authenticated
> VERB
> [...]

As I suspected:
* Your old server supported "insecure" ("plain text") SMTP AUTH methods
  (LOGIN and PLAIN) even over unecrypted SMTP connections
  [it is not the recomended way].
* Your new SMTP server supports LOGIN and PLAIN "SMTP AUTH" only over
  encrypted connections as indicated in reply to second EHLO in my test.
  [ BTW *DO* change your SMTP password ]

 My test on the new server:
 >>> EHLO ......
 <<< 250-mta1.es.aau.dk Hello ......
 <<< 250-SIZE 52428800
 <<< 250-PIPELINING
 <<< 250-STARTTLS
 <<< 250 HELP
 >>> STARTTLS
 <<< 220 TLS go ahead
 >>> EHLO ......
 <<< 250-mta1.es.aau.dk Hello ......
 <<< 250-SIZE 52428800
 <<< 250-PIPELINING
 <<< 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
 <<< 250 HELP

So: Your problem (IMHO) is how to *force* gnus to use STARTTLS
(encrypted connection) in SMTP session to give it a chance to use
SMTP AUTH (that has worked).

The link below (located after *short* googling) may provide some hints:
http://www.mail-archive.com/info-gnus-english@gnu.org/msg06683.html

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : Andrze.Filip@gmail.com
Go ahead... make my day.