Re: Indexing Gnus (and other...) mails

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Indexing Gnus (and other...) mails
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 23:13:31 +0200

Ronan Keryell <Ronan.Keryell@hpc-project.com> writes:
> I've tried it but it failed quickly with a "Out of memory (at
> rfc822.c:439, -1538 bytes)" whereas it was only using around 200 MB of
> memory (I have 3 GB RAM + 8 GB swap available...). I do not have time to
> investigate right now but I will try in 2 weeks.
>
> It sounds like a 32-bit bug or limitation on the tool...

If you investigate further, please post your results on the mairix
mailing list.

FWIW, nnmairix can handle several mairix installations. So what you
could do is set up several different mairixrc configuration files which
index different parts of your mail (with a size that mairix can still
handle). You can then set up a nnmairix server for each configuration
file with "mairix -f <configfile>" for nnmairix-mairix-command.

This is just a workaraound and has some disadvantages; for example, you
can only query one of the mairix servers at a time, so you will roughly
have to know which mairix index could get you what you're looking for.

> BTW, 30 GB is not a lot, it is only 2.28 € at 0.076 €/GB now in
> France. :-)

Well yes, measured in Euros. But otherwise, I'd say that definitely is a
lot of mail. :-)

-David