Re: Registry marks?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Registry marks?
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:37:32 -0500

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:31:06 -0700 ross@rosslaird.info (Ross A. Laird) wrote:

RAL> I'm having trouble finding out how to use the registry marks. They seem
RAL> like an excellent feature, but I am not a programmer, so the few
RAL> posts on this list which refer to the registry marks are a little beyond
RAL> my skill. Here's what I have so far in my .gnus:

RAL> (require 'gnus-registry)
RAL> (gnus-registry-initialize)
RAL> (setq gnus-registry-marks
RAL>       '((Important
RAL>      :char ?i
RAL>      :image "summary_important")
RAL>     (Work
RAL>      :char ?w
RAL>      :image "summary_work")
RAL>     (Personal
RAL>      :char ?p
RAL>      :image "summary_personal")
RAL>     (To-Do
RAL>      :char ?t
RAL>      :image "summary_todo")
RAL>     (Later
RAL>      :char ?l
RAL>      :image "summary_later")))

RAL> From what I've read, it seems the above is a good start (is it?).

Yes, but you don't need to set gnus-registry-marks.  These are the
default marks.  Set it if you want to override the characters shown
(e.g. greek tau for To-Do).

RAL> The next bit, it seems, is to get the marks to show up in the summary
RAL> buffer, which, from what I've read, involves various steps including this:

RAL> ,----
RAL> | gnus-summary-line-format is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
RAL> | Its value is
RAL> | "%U%R %10&user-date; $%6uS [%6uM] %6k  %B %(%4L: %*%-25,25a%) %s \n"
RAL> `----

RAL> ... which is beyond me.

You need this:

(defalias 'gnus-user-format-function-M
          'gnus-registry-user-format-function-M)

And then use %uM in your summary line format.

If you or anyone else has the time to write this up in the EmacsWiki,
it would save time for the next person to need it.  I'll write a
manual section on this when I have a chance, but the Wiki seems quite
popular these days.

Ted