Re: nnimap vs. nnmaildir

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: nnimap vs. nnmaildir
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:07:03 +0200

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

Hi Dan,

> [nnimap or nnmaildir for synching imap]

I use a local dovecot imap server that synchronizes several imap
accounts using offlineimap.  From Gnus, I access it via nnimap.  This
works very reliable for more than a year now.

Before, I used offlineimap to populate maildirs and accessed those with
the nnmaildir backend.  But that was very slow for big groups.

The switch to a local dovecot imap server was quite easy.  To configure
dovecot for my needs, there's no magic involved.  I can send you my
configs to get you started.

> Criteria that are important to me:
>
> - robustness

Absolutely.

> - speed (generating the summary buffer, selecting articles, moving
>   articles between groups)

Very fast, much faster than nnmaildir, at least for groups with a lot of
articles.

> - ability to edit articles

Dunno 'bout that one...

> - search

Dovecot has several full text search plugins that speed up imap SEARCH
commands.  For interfacing with it, I use nnir.  Setup is a one-liner
for each account.

Bye,
Tassilo