Re: Face Header

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Face Header
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:21:58 -0500

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:38:32 +1000 Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:

DP> Um, I should possibly say that the header isn't illegal by the standard,
just
DP> not defined officially.  So, it isn't /wrong/ to use it, as such, any more
DP> than the extra headers various MTA / GroupWare packages use for internal
DP> and/or external routing or whatever.

IIRC Lars considered submitting the Face header for approval but got
discouraged by the bureaucracy surrounding the process, so he just made
it a de-facto standard as far as Gnus is concerned.  Usually such
headers have to begin with "X-" so an RFC zealot could complain.

DP> So, yeah, the recipient is in the wrong and all, I think.  Mostly.  Except
DP> that Face headers /are/ a waste of ~ 1KB per email out and all.

Yeah, I learned quickly to turn them off for work when they kept showing
up in paper printouts from less capable MUAs.

Ted