Re: Fetching pop3

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Fetching pop3
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:29:20 -0500

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 03:34:34 +0200 Slackrat <gnoose@azurservers.com> wrote:

S> Ted Zlatanov a écrit profondement:
S> | That seems strange.  Can you try:
S> |
S> | (require 'pop3)
S> | (let ((pop3-debug t))
S> |   (pop3-open-server "pop3.mail.server" 110))
S> |
S> | I'm not sure this is the problem, but it will at least tell you if Emacs
S> | itself (through the pop3.el library) can contact the server.
S> |

S> The result is effecticely the same.

If pop3.el can't connect via pop3-open-server, we've established the bug
outside of the rest of Gnus, so it's progress.

Can you look at the code for pop3-open-server?  It's not terribly
complicated.  You need to check your pop3-stream-type; depending on
whether it's 'ssl, 'starttls, or something else there are different
execution paths.  Here's an example:

(require 'pop3)
(require 'cl)
(let ((pop3-debug t)
      (pop3-stream-type 'ssl)) ;; or 'starttls or nil
  (pop3-open-server "pop3.mail.server" 110))

>From there, you'll move on to figuring out if open-tls-stream or
starttls-open-stream are the problem (my guess is that your problem is
not with a plain connection).  If you don't care about SSL or TLS, you
could just set pop3-stream-type to nil but your POP3 server may not
allow that.

Ted