Re: Content-Transfer-Encoding issue

From: Byung-Hee HWANG
Subject: Re: Content-Transfer-Encoding issue
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 06:48:22 +0900

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
>
> [...]
>> Any comment advice welcome!
>>
>> TIA,
> According to http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/sracan/QP-8bit.txt,
> both things are okay. Here is the most important text from this:
>
> Both proposals had their merits.  Obviously the ESMTP solution was
> best in the long run.  It was simpler and it saved some bandwidth,
> CPU time and storage space which would otherwise be used in 7-bit
> encoding of 8-bit data.  There are far fewer different MTA's around
> than there are MUA's.  Only one piece of software had to be changed
> on each machine and this was usually in the control of someone who
> was knowledgeable about computers.  The ESMTP solution was easier to
> interface to old pre-MIME software which was known to be 8-bit clean,
> as most of it was.
>
> The quoted-printable (QP) proposal also had its merits.  This solution
> was close to the two people who most wanted a solution, the sender and
> the recipient, rather than involving system managers of intervening
> machines who might have no interest in the problem of accented
> characters.  There was less danger of software being passed 8-bit
> data.  (Examples were found of software which actually crashed if it
> was presented with 8-bit data, although it would be amazing if there
> was any such software left seven years on.)  Many people felt that even
> if the recipient's mailer wasn't MIME capable it was better for him or
> her to see thingies like "=E1" than to risk having accented characters
> deleted or having their eighth bit stripped.
>
> So BOTH proposals were accepted.  It is legal MIME to have messages
> headed with:

> and it is just as legal to have messages headed with:

With care, i read the text all. That's good to know. Thanks!

Sincerely,

---
"Germinal, terminal, what the hell. I started to do abortions. Nice and easy,
everybody happy, like washing the dishes and leaving a clean sink. That was
my class. I loved it, I loved being an abortionist. I don't believe that a
two-month fetus is a human being so no problems there. I was helping young
girls and married woman who were in trouble, I was making good money. I was
out of the front lines. When I got caught I felt like a deserter that had been
hauled in. But I was lucky, a friend pulled some strings and got me off but
now the big hospitals won't let me operate. So here I am. Giving good advice
again which is being ignored just like in the old days."
                -- Jules Seagul, "Chapter 26", page 373