Re: How to sort messages by date by reverse order, and unset expiry for

From: Benjamin L. Russell
Subject: Re: How to sort messages by date by reverse order, and unset expiry for all messages?
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:31:55 +0900

Karl Kleinpaste <invalid@kleinpaste.org> writes:

> DekuDekuplex@Yahoo.com (Benjamin L. Russell) writes:
>> Does anybody know a keyboard command and a configuration setting for
>> sorting messages by date in reverse order within a group?  There does
>> not seem to be documentation specific for this configuration option.
>
> C-c C-s C-d runs `gnus-summary-sort-by-date'
>
> `gnus-summary-sort-by-date' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
>   -- loaded from "gnus-sum"
> (gnus-summary-sort-by-date &optional REVERSE)
>
> Documentation:
> Sort the summary buffer by date.
> Argument REVERSE means reverse order.

Thank you for your response.

I was able to customize Gnus to display threads sorted by number, and
then in reverse order by date, with the following addition to my
.gnus.el file:

> ; Sort threads first by number, and then in reverse order by date
> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
>       '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
>       (not gnus-thread-sort-by-date)))

Apparently, the argument "REVERSE" doesn't work; instead, one needs to
specify "not" followed by the sorting option; e.g., "not
gnus-thread-sort-by-date" instead of "gnus-thread-sort-by-date &optional
REVERSE".

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^