Quoting style (was: Hanging when fetching too much mails using pop)

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Quoting style (was: Hanging when fetching too much mails using pop)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:18:15 +0300

On 2009-09-14 10:55 (-0500), Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 05:59:03 +0200 Slackrat <g-no-ose@azurservers.com> wrote:
>> Would you be willing to share your method of getting the poster's
>> initials to preceed the quotted texf as per above?
>
> Supercite will do it. It looks bad in Outlook and web interfaces,
> though, so choose your audience carefully.

A minor rant: I think nobody should use Supercite and its "TL> " or
"Teemu> " quoting. As everybody knows the de facto standard is "> "
(with nesting) and it's the most widely supported style. People are used
to read nestes >'s so it's the easiest style to read and understand. If
you (general "you") want to write messages for other people (not just
for yourself or for other limited audience) then please use the standard
and forget about all weird custom stuff.

There are some groups of people who tend to use bad quotations:
Microsoft Outlook users, Gmail users, Emacs Rmail and Supercite users.