Re: nnimap and searching articles by message-id

From: janko hrasko
Subject: Re: nnimap and searching articles by message-id
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:25:11 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 9/19/09, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

> > It turns out that the IMAP server I am using
>
> Which IMAP server software is it?

It is a part of Oracle Beehive collaboration suite.

> > requires the message-id be stripped of the enclosing
> angle brackets
> > when searching for messages like so:
> >
> > UID SEARCH HEADER Message-Id "xxxx.yyyy@foobar.com"
> >
> > Not sure who is not compliant here: Gnus/nnimap or the
> IMAP server?
>
> Cc-ing the developer list.  Maybe someone there
> knows.

It would be good to know.  What do people think?  A quick scan through the
RFC2822 - Internet Message Format reveals the following, but I am not sure if
that is enough to convince anyone.

   Semantically, the angle bracket characters are not part of the
   msg-id; the msg-id is what is contained between the two angle bracket
   characters.

Thanks for the patch.  It didn't work for what I needed (e.g. fetch the parent
article) until I applied analogous changes to the other occurrence of search by
message-id in nnimap.el: nnimap-request-article-part.

Thanks,
--Peter