Gnus and pgp

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Gnus and pgp
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:35:17 +0100

I just wonder how many of you were using pgp and something like
gupg-agent?

I was having terrible connection problems for ages with a set up like
this:

,----
| (require 'auth-source)
| (require 'epa-file)
| (setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t) ;;VERY Important
| (if (file-exists-p "~/.authinfo")
|     (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo" :host t :protocol t)))
|     (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo.gpg" :host t :protocol t))))
| (setq
|       mml2015-encrypt-to-self t
|       mml2015-cache-passphrase t
|       mml2015-passphrase-cache-expiry 60000
|       mml2015-verbose t)
`----

When using the .gpg, hard to pinpoint but constant refusals to connect
to a server (nntp) when doing a refresh or even starting Gnus for the first
time. Often quitting gnus and then restarting fixed it. I know the
default above is .authinfo as that is my set up now (I just recreated
the .authinfo from the .gpg file) and all connection issues vanished.

Is anyone else here using the epa stuff with more success? Can you share
your setup? I would love to use the (chmodded) .authinfo and replace
with a .gpg but it doesn't seem very stable with my set up above.

I know the agent was running fine.

Emacs 23 in Debian backports.