Re: .agentview and .overview

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: .agentview and .overview
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:19:33 +0100

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

Hi Cecil,

>> The agent is sort of a cache, so that you have to download articles
>> only once.  In general, you always want that for newsgroups.  But for
>> mail groups, it's a different story.  When you delete a message
>> (possibly with another mail client, e.g. the web interface of your
>> mail provider), the agent doesn't recognize that and you end up with
>> strange results like duplicate messages and stuff like you mentioned.
>
> Okay, that makes everything clear. I would prefer to work with agent
> then. Because that is faster and also handy when I get offline. But as
> long as I do not everything with GNUS I'll keep it disabled.  On the
> other hand: why can GNUS not clean it up?

Well, Gnus was initially a newsreader, and there articles don't
disappear magically.  So my suggestion for good performance with mails:
Install a local IMAP server (e.g. Dovecot) that you access with Gnus,
and synch that with your remote accounts using OfflineIMAP.  I do that
for years, and it works just perfectly.

Bye,
Tassilo