Re: gnus-dired does not use gnus anymore bug or feature

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: gnus-dired does not use gnus anymore bug or feature
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:20:13 +0900

> On Fri, Dec 11 2009, Uwe Brauer wrote:

>> I am desperate and I am thinking of using the old code.

> Please don't.  This is a bug we need to find out why it fails for you.

Maybe Uwe has to discover by oneself what function of Gnus starts
VM.  If what is started is the Lisp command `vm', one way is to
provide the dummy function named `vm' like the following:

(defun vm (&rest args)
  (interactive)
  (error "VM started!"))

Evaluate this form by typing `C-x C-e' at the end of the last
line.  Type `M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET' to turn it on.  Run
`gnus-dired-attach'.  And you will see the function that calls
this version of `vm'.  The backtrace may expose the real cause
in that single shot.  Otherwise, what you want to do next will
be to run edebug on the function in question (that calls `vm').
Note that the command that starts VM may not be just `vm' but
`vm-something-something'.  Good luck.