problems with eudc-expand-inline in EUDC

From: Desmond Rivet
Subject: problems with eudc-expand-inline in EUDC
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:47:11 -0000

Hi all,

I'm attempting to connect to an LDAP server containing some email
contacts.  The relavent portion of my .gnus.el looks like this:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; BEGIN
(require 'ldap)
(require 'eudc)

(setq eudc-default-return-attributes 'all)
(setq eudc-strict-return-matches nil)

(setq ldap-ldapsearch-args (quote ("-tt" "-LLL" "-x")))

(eudc-protocol-set 'eudc-inline-query-format
                   '((cn) (rdn) (uid) (mail))
                   'ldap)

(eudc-protocol-set 'eudc-inline-expansion-format
                                         '("%s" mail)
                                         'ldap)

(setq ldap-host-parameters-alist
      '(("my-server" base "dc=stuff,dc=com"
                     binddn "my_bind"
                     passwd "")))

(eudc-set-server "my-server" 'ldap t)
(setq eudc-server-hotlist '(("my-server" . ldap)))
(setq eudc-inline-expansion-servers 'hotlist)
(setq eudc-multiple-match-handling-method 'first)

(eval-after-load "message"
  '(define-key message-mode-map (kbd "TAB") 'eudc-expand-inline))
;;;;;;;;;;; END

I type "m" to bring up a mail buffer.  Then I type, for example, "david"
in the the To: field and I type "TAB" (associated with
eudc-expand-inline).  What I *expect* to see is some kind of indication
that "david" doesn't exist in LDAP, or that he does and here he is, or
that emacs had trouble connecting to the server, etc.  Something along
these lines.  What I see instead is this (once I turn on debug):

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p nil)
  byte-code("...")
  eudc-expand-inline()
  call-interactively(eudc-expand-inline nil nil)

I'm a bit mystified by this.  I presume that eudc-expand-inline is
epxpecting a string as one of its arguments, and is instead getting nil.
The help for the function doesn't mention a string arugment.  It only
mentions the replace-p argument.

If I had to take a stab at guessing, I would say that eudc-expand-inline
takes the query string (extracted from the buffer before the point) as
a parameter, and this string is not being extracted properly.

Any ideas?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Desmond Rivet