Re: How to recover a corrupted mail archive folder

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: How to recover a corrupted mail archive folder
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:47:53 -0000

Pascal Quesseveur <pascal.quesseveur@free.fr> writes:

> One of my mail archives has been corrupted. When accessing the folder
> by gnus some texts are wrong and there are some messages which are not
> in the summary.  I don't know the reason but when I look at the file
> there are some extra stuff in it.  I get no backup of this file. Is
> there a mean to get the folder already accessible from gnus ?  I think
> i can remove by hand some extra lines from the file (not too many
> messages) but how can I deal with nov file?

*First* make a copy of the archive so your further attempts don't get
 you into further trouble.

The nov file can be regenerated.

It sounds like this archive is using the nnfolder backend, in which case
it's a standard Unix mailbox ("mbox") and can probably be edited with
the standard "mail" command on your system.  If you're using Windows,
you may need to go to a bit more work to find something to edit the file
with, but doing it by hand as you suggest is certainly possible (and may
be necessary if the file is badly broken).