Re: gnus-secondary-select-methods and use of variables

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: gnus-secondary-select-methods and use of variables
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 09:30:04 +0200

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

>> I would like to do something like the following:
>>     (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>           '(
>>             (nnimap "gmail"
>>                     (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>>                     (nnimap-stream ssl)
>>                     (nnimap-authinfo-file (symbol-value imap-authinfo-file))
>>                     )
>>             (nnimap "e-mail"
>>                     (nnimap-address (symbol-value imap-own-server))
>>                     (nnimap-stream tls)
>>                     (nnimap-authinfo-file (symbol-value imap-authinfo-file))
>>                     )
>>             ))
>>
>> I need to use the real values. Is there a way I could use variables to
>> set gnus-secondary-select-methods?
>
> I'm not sure what "the real values" are but if I understand correctly,
> your question is more about Lisp rather than about Gnus. Do you want to
> evaluate some variables (expressions) in a list that is mostly constant?
> Like this:
>
>     `(foo ,gnus-version bar)
>     => (foo "Gnus v5.13" bar)
>
> Inside `-quotation ,-prefixed expressions are evaluated. Everything else
> is taken literally. So maybe you want something like this:
>
>     (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>           `((nnimap "gmail"
>                     (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                     (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                     (nnimap-authinfo-file ,some-variable))
>             ...))

That is exactly what I want. Thanks.

In my .gnus it always uses '( instead of `(. The difference is in the
evaluation of ,-prefixed expressions:
    `(foo ,gnus-version bar) => (foo "Gnus v5.13" bar)
    '(foo ,gnus-version bar) => (foo \,gnus-version bar)

Is it a good idea to change all my '( to `(, or is there a -good- reason
to use '( instead of `(?

The same for 'string and `string.

--
Cecil Westerhof