Continuing problems with marks in nnimap

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Continuing problems with marks in nnimap
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 14:39:23 -0700

I have mentioned before that unread articles are sometimes spontaneously
being marked as O, causing them to disappear from my view and me to lose
track of them. This is a really awful problem to have, but I have no
idea how to reproduce it or debug it. The only thing I can do is mark
all unread articles with !, which seems to successfully keep them
around. But this is very undesirable, since I'd rather use ! for other
meanings. I will go for a month without the problem happening, and then
suddenly it will, wiping out my Inbox.

Now I'm also noticing another problem, which is that an nnimap group
with Total Expire and Automatic Expire on is not actually marking all
read articles as expirable. Many of them are also marked as O. I think
these may be messages that are moved to the group from another group,
but even when I enter the group (with C-u to show all messages) and hit
"c" to mark them all read, upon exit and re-entry they are still marked
O. I have to manually mark them with E in order to make them expirable.

The IMAP server is courier, running on localhost. It is synced with
another IMAP server via offlineimap.

Any advice about these problems or how I can provide more useful info
for debugging?

I know a lot of people are using a similar nnimap/offlineimap setup (I
have helped many people get it going myself), so I'm really wondering
what is different about my situation.

--
John Sullivan
Emacs Planner Maintainer