About removing group identifiers from subject line

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: About removing group identifiers from subject line
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:39:08 -0500

the group illumos-developers on gmane is one of those where the list
server puts a tag in subject line.  In this case:
`[illumos-developer]'

So a subject line may be
  Subject: [illumos-developer] blah bug fix blah when

In our manual in the `Group Parameters' section I see this info (ONLY
PARTIAL):

[...]

,----
|      A use for this feature is to remove a mailing list identifier tag
|      in the subject fields of articles.  E.g. if the news group
|
|           nntp+news.gnus.org:gmane.text.docbook.apps
|
|      has the tag `DOC-BOOK-APPS:' in the subject of all articles, this
|      tag can be removed from the article subjects in the summary buffer
|      for the group by putting `(gnus-list-identifiers "DOCBOOK-APPS:")'
|      into the group parameters for the group.
`----

[...]

(I'm assuming where it says `DOCBOOK' in the last sentence... its a
typo and should say `DOC-BOOK')

But that aside, adding the line below to Group Parameters appears to
have no effect:

((gnus-list-identifiers "[illumos-developers]"))

All the subject lines still have `[illumos-developers]' in them

There is a whole section above what I quoted above, that may mean some
other step needs to be taken too... I really couldn't understand what
that section is trying to tell me.

Posting more context below;  Maybe someone will know how this is
supposed to work:

,----