Re: Follow up via news

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Follow up via news
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 05:43:33 +0000 (UTC)

Ian Zimmerman <nobrowser <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi.  For some odd reasons, I like all my groups served by my IMAP
> server, even those that are really newsgroups.  I do this by reading the
> newsfeed with suck [1] in a cronjob and mailing the articles to myself.
> This works pretty well, but there is one problem, I want to stop lurking
> and actually take part in the discussion.  So, I have to post to the
> original newsgroup.  But Gnus treats the articles as mail because they
> appear to come from IMAP, and so hitting "f" or "F" gives me a mail
> message to compose.
>
> How can I teach Gnus that some of my groups are really news and should
> be followed up to with a news post?

SO I figured how to do this, but most of the solution is outside Gnus:

1. I installed postnews - a silly little script that posts an article
to a nntp server, like rnewspost of yore.

2. In the relevant groups, I set both to-list and to-address to
something like: myname+alt.test@my.mail.host

3. I match these addresses with my mailbox sorter (ie. the equivalent of
procmail), remove mail-like headers (To and Received), append a Newsgroups
header based on the + bit, and feed the result to postnews.

Took me a day to set this up.  Boo.