Filter Spam Using a Blacklist

From: Michael Audas
Subject: Filter Spam Using a Blacklist
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 18:08:23 +1000

Hi there,

I just wanted to check that I have configured the spam-splitting stuff
in Gnus correctly. Here is what I have in my initialization file:

,----
|    ;;Spam-filtering
|     (setq spam-use-blacklist t)
|     (setq spam-use-whitelist t)
|     (require 'spam)
|     (spam-initialize)
|     (setq nnmail-split-fancy '(|
|      (: spam-split) ;If sender is recognized in News/spam/blacklist, send to
"spam" group
|       "mail.misc")) ;Else, send to mail.misc
`----

I also have the post-processing variables for spam-blacklist set for the
mail.misc group itself. However, in my blacklist, I entered:

,----
| yahoo.com
`----

... with the intention of blocking all mail sent from the yahoo.com
domain, excepting the addresses I specifically included in my
whitelist. The thing is, I am still getting spam email from yahoo.com
addresses. Is my mail being split at all, or am I merely generating a
blacklist file that Gnus is not really taking any notice of? I must
admit, that I find the whole splitting/groups thing very confusing.

Regards,

--
Michael Audas
gopher://sdf.org/1/users/mrgnash