Re: End of file during parsing, single newsgroup

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: End of file during parsing, single newsgroup
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:38:34 +0200

William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com>
writes:

>>> Before trying to enter that group, do M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET
>>> and post the backtrace here.
>>
>> This is what I got:
>>
>> Debug on Error enabled globally
>> Retrieving newsgroup: rec.arts.sf.written...
>> Fetching headers for rec.arts.sf.written...
>> byte-code: End of file during parsing
>> Commands: d, s, x, u; f, o, 1, 2, m, v; ~, %; q to quit; ? for help.
>>
>> At the moment it looks like no clear message from the debugger,or it
>> is not entering it given the Commands line.

Strange.  What does it say when you hit `?'?

> Could the "end of file during parsing" be corruption in the
> ~/.newsrc.eld file?  That's my only (possibly pretty far-fetched)
> guess.

I think, if it was corrupted it would error as soon as gnus tries to
read it the first time and not only with this one specific group.

Some more guesses:

  - Do you have (gnus-compile) in your ~/.gnus.el?  If so, comment it
    out and restart emacs.  Fire up Gnus, do something and hit `s' in
    *Group* so that it saves the ~/.newsrc.eld.  Restart emacs and gnus
    and try to enter rec.arts.sf.written.  I think, you still get an
    error but maybe a bit more informative.

  - Do you have a special gnus-summary-line-format set for that group,
    e.g., via gnus-parameters?  Maybe that's somehow broken?

  - Did you use a newer version of emacs once?  If so, maybe the
    (gnus-compile) compiled something in ~/.newsrc.eld to byte-code
    that's not understood by emacs 22.

Bye,
Tassilo